04 December 2012

Pretty cocktail bars for small spaces

Lately, I've been mildly obsessed with setting up a pretty cocktail bar in our house somewhere, even though for the most part, James and I only drink wine and beer. I guess its the romance of the cocktail that I love most, and I think that having a stylish, well appointed, organized bar can be really inviting when friends come to visit.

We live in a small conch cottage in Key Largo and have no space for a wet bar or even a built in dry bar. So I've been on the hunt for alternative ideas and inspirational pieces that have ample space for all the essentials plus the pretty accessories that add a special flare.

Here are a few I've found that I think are just great... 



 Casually elegant, this beachy console table
and weathered basket are simple ways to organize bar essentials.


Great for outdoor parties, this bar's wire basket is
a weatherproof and portable. The fresh greenery is a nice touch because
it adds a height and softness to the vignette.
(Photo credit: countryliving.com)


This white lacquered parsons table has plenty of space for every need.
I love the contrast between the sleekness of the table and the natural, woven rattan accessories.
Another great feature of this bar is the lamp with the metal shade.
It illuminates the bar, but won't blind you as you are mixing cocktails for your guests.



A gorgeous chinoiserie cabinet is a handsome base for a gentlemens bar.
The cabinet can be retrofitted to hide a small fridge for wine and beer.
(photo credit: vancollier.com)


Not sure what to do with the armoire that used to house your giant TV?
Turn it into a wet bar.
(How great is that mirror on the back??)
(photo credit: shelterinteriordesign.blogspot.com)



Isn't the weathered charcoal finish beautiful on this Sanderson cart? 
It reminds me of driftwood and is perfect for a seaside home.
Bar carts are great because they can tag along with the party and
 they can also double as table next to a sofa
or occasional chair after your guests go home.
(photo credit: sandersononline.com)

There are several things I've noticed that can make a plain boring bar into a standout piece.

1. Find a great base. Repurposing (an old trunk, for instance) is a unique idea that will help the bar become a conversation piece.
2. Adding foliage, fronds, or flowers in a pretty container softens the hard lines of the base, liquor bottles and bar tools. For a great video tutorial on how to do this, click here.
3. Don't forget the lighting! A tall, slim lamp or wall mounted sconces will help you read that recipe book.
4. Add some color with fresh fruit, colored glassware or printed napkins.
5. If possible, hang a great piece of art or a mirror with a fabulous frame nearby.

I hope I've given you some inspiration to set up your own stylish cocktail bar! As for me, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect piece.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment